James Dixon & Sons (JD & S) was a Sheffield based company founded in 1806. Dixon's were well known manufacturers of silverware and electroplated nickel silver and were world leaders in manufacturing hunting and shooting accessories through the 19th century. Their product range also included hundreds of items for use in the home. James Dixon & Sons used the "Trumpet and Banner" mark with "JD & S" to identify without doubt it was one of their products. The use of the trumpet was to prevent mistakes with the marks "JD & S" used by another Sheffield manufacturer, James Deakin & Sons. The "Trumpet and Banner" was Dixon's registered trade mark since 1879, although it was used at times before registration and appears on some of their silver plate pieces.