More about: Army & Navy
Category: Fishing - Antique
Subcategory: Flies etc.
Army & Navy Leather Fly Fishing Reservoir.
A rare Army & Navy fly fishing reservoir with four pull out fly holders. Each holder has a wooden frame, leather spine, a central pull out ivorine plate with Wheatley nickel clips on both sides and a hinged front and back ivorine plate with a single side of nickel clips. The spine of each fly book has a leather pull out tab and is stamped with an A, B, C, or D. The outer case has a carry handle to the lid, a chrome lock and is made of 'Anti Moth Leather' which is embossed above the lock 'Army and Navy Co-operative Society Limited'. The owners initials are impressed into the lid 'H.B.W.W'. The fly reservoir contains a good selection of salmon, trout and sea trout flies. It is in good original condition with only a small tear in the leather hinge of the lid.
The Army and Navy Co-operative Society Ltd was a well known Victorian department store whose flagship store was located in London, Victoria Street. The society was founded in 1871 by a group of army and navy officers with the intention of selling everything required by a military man of the highest quality at the best possible price. Membership was originally only open to those with a military or official connection such as an officer or non commissioned officer in the Army or Navy, their immediate relatives, secretaries of military clubs or messes, peers etc. In 1934 the society was incorporated into a limited company - Army & Navy Stores Ltd. The Army & Navy Stores were renowned for producing their large illustrated annual price lists, listing in great detail all the products they offered for sale and manufactured. They were always expanding and had stores all over the British Empire, eventually being taken over by House of Fraser in 1973.