More about: Charles Farlow
Subcategory: Flies & Lures
Vintage Farlow Fly Reservoir with outer Protective Case.
A rare Farlow's oak fly reservoir. The interior fitted with six lift out trays each with spring metal clips and holding a selection of flies. The fly box comes with a new key and is made of polished golden oak with the lid having a recessed chrome swing carry handle. The interior with an inset rectangular ivorine trade plate, inscription is faded. There is the original outer leather protective case that has a burgundy velvet lined interior, twin leather straps, brass escutcheon and a strong leather carry handle. Just above the key hole the case is embossed 'C.Farlow & Co., 191 Strand, London', the initials J.H. are embossed on the case exterior. The metal clips have been replaced and the twin leather straps are also replacements.
Farlow and Hardy stand shoulder to shoulder in the world of fishing tackle manufactures, both are renowned for excellent quality, and they are both highly collectable. Charles Farlow started his game fishing tackle business in 1840. He traded under the name C. Farlow at 221, The Strand, London. In 1852 the local authority changed the address to 191, The Strand. In around 1885 he started to trade under the business name C. Farlow & Co. and operated with that name until it became a limited company in 1894. Upon his death in 1895 two sons Charles Paas and John Ambrose took over and became joint governing directors.