Category: Golf - Antique
Rare Booklet, Rules of Golf. St Andrews.
A wonderful and very rare booklet on the rules of golf. The 40 page booklet is hard bound with a red Moroccan leather cover with gilt title 'Rules of Golf, H.C.E.G.' (Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers). On the first page is printed 'The Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews, Rules for the Game of Golf, adopted 29th of September 1891'. The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers were based at Muirfield Golf Club. There is a fold out map of St Andrews golf course in the middle of the booklet.
This is a nice piece of golfing history.
Taken from Muirfield website:-
On March 7th 1744 the Edinburgh Town Council presented a silver club for annual competition by 'The Gentleman Golfers', In doing so they required that 'proper regulations' governing conditions of play, be written and the thirteen Rules of Play were duly produced. Thus was the Company of Edinburgh Golfers created and recorded in the first minutes of the Club which also state that surgeon John Rattray won the Club's first competition
In 1795 the Club applied to the Lord Provost, the Magistrates and Council of the City of Edinburgh for a Charter. This was granted on March 26th 1800 together with a Seal of Clause under the new title of 'The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers'.
From the outset, the Company was being asked for its opinion and decisions on the Rules of Play and so, in 1775 and again in 1809 the rules were revised and expanded. With many members in common, the Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews also helped answer those rules questions and, in the late 19th century, The Honourable Company passed over all authority for future changes and decisions on the rules to the R&A.
Taken from:- www.scottishgolfhistory.org website
The first known Rules of Golf were drawn up in 1744 in Edinburgh for the world's first 'open' golf competition at Leith by the Gentlemen Golfers of Edinburgh, who would go on to become The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers.
The Royal & Ancient Golf Club (R&A) began selling subsidised copies of the rules of golf at 6d (6 pence) when the cost was 9d (9 pence). In 1897, they were given control of the Rules and Golf by the common agreement of the existing clubs, who were mostly British. The R&A published the first 'national' set of rules in 1899.
The US Golfing Association, founded in 1894, adopted the R&A rules of 1899 and published them in 1900 for American golfers. Golf associations outside of USA and Mexico continued to recognise the jurisdiction of the R&A in the matter of the rules of golf. For fifty years from 1900, the R&A and the USGA operated separately but, since 1952, they have worked co-operatively to produce a universal code.