James Dixon's Gentleman's hip flask.
A silver-plated spirit hip flask made by James Dixon & Sons, Sheffield. The top half of the flask covered in leather with level viewing windows cut into both sides and fitted with a removable plated drinking cup. The bottom of the cup is marked '3/8 Pt' and with James Dixon & Sons stamps. The hinged lid is with screw bayonet fitting and carries the mark of James Dixon & Sons. On one side of the bottleneck can be found JD & S, whilst on the other side is a trumpet. The JD & S is the mark of James Dixon & Sons and the "Trumpet and Banner" mark identifies without doubt it is a Dixon's product. The use of the trumpet is to prevent mistakes with the marks "JD & S" used by another Sheffield manufacturer, James Deakin & Sons.
James Dixon & Sons (JD & S) was a Sheffield based company founded in 1806. Dixon's were well known manufacturers of silverware and electroplated nickel silver and were world leaders in manufacturing hunting and shooting accessories through the 19th century. Their product range also included hundreds of items for use in the home. James Dixon & Sons used the "Trumpet and Banner" mark with "JD & S" to identify without doubt it was one of their products. The use of the trumpet was to prevent mistakes with the marks "JD & S" used by another Sheffield manufacturer, James Deakin & Sons. The "Trumpet and Banner" was Dixon's registered trade mark since 1879, although it was used at times before registration and appears on some of their silver plate pieces.
Manfred Schotten Antiques
109 High Street, Burford, Oxfordshire. OX18 4RG, United Kingdom.
Tel: 01993 822 302