Farlow 'Sextile' Line Dryer.
An early rare brass line winder made by Farlow & Co. Ltd., called the 'Sextile'. The dryer of brass construction with 6 collapsible slotted arms, ebonite handle on crank winding arm stamped with Farlow's name and Reg. No. 504940. There is a 'G' clamp with brass thumb locking screw to secure the line winder to a table or shelf.
How to use Farlow's "SEXTILE" line drier.
Screw the 'G' clamp firmly to a table of shelf. Expand the frame to the size required and fix it firmly in that position with the winged screw. Attach the end of the line to one of the outside bars and wind off the portion of line to be dealt with. To lock the frame into position, lift the small brass arm on the top of the 'G' clamp over one of the slotted arms.
To ascertain the length of line, fix the sliding collar just clear of the 2 feet mark, count the number of turns needed to wind up the line, and that number doubled will give the length in FEET.
If more than one line is to be dried, tie the coil of line round in three or four places with tape or string before removing from the frame. To remove from the frame release the winged screw and pull the collar towards the handle. This will reduce the circumference, and the coil of line can be lifted off and hung up or placed in a safe position. This process can then be repeated as often as necessary. Made by C. Farlow & Co., Ltd., 10 Charles Street, St. James's Square, S.W., and at 191, Strand, W.C., London.
Size when collapsed:- 10 ½" by 3 ½" by 3 ½".
Linewinders were an important tool in the days of silk line when one had to take the line off the reel for drying. It still is very useful today to put the fishing line from one reel to another.
Farlow and Hardy stand shoulder to shoulder in the world of fishing tackle manufactures, both are renowned for excellent quality, and they are both highly collectable. Charles Farlow started his game fishing tackle business in 1840. He traded under the name C. Farlow at 221, The Strand, London. In 1852 the local authority changed the address to 191, The Strand. In around 1885 he started to trade under the business name C. Farlow & Co. and operated with that name until it became a limited company in 1894. Upon his death in 1895 two sons Charles Paas and John Ambrose took over and became joint governing directors.
Manfred Schotten Antiques
109 High Street, Burford, Oxfordshire. OX18 4RG, United Kingdom.
Tel: 01993 822 302