The wishlist name can't be left blank

Golf Club Trophy Display Cabinet

SOLD

Category
Subcategory
Reference
26939
Height
63.5 cm (25")
Width
99.5 cm (39 1/4")
Depth
16 cm (6 1/4")
Beckenham Golf Club Trophy Cabinet.
An early 20th century wall mounted trophy display case made for Beckenham Golf Club by their professional Harry Brown. The cabinet bears a silver-plate monogram of 'BGC' for Beckenham Golf Club. There is a model of a hickory putter with silver mounts hanging fin the cabinet on two white metal chains. Suspended from the golf club are 15 square mesh pattern golf balls, 8 on long chains, 1 on a short chain, 6 hanging directly from the club. The balls hang above the metal plaques with the winners details on, the last plaque is blank. There is a plaque on the bottom inscribed 'The Leslie Perkins Putter, This model putter was made by Harry Brown the Professional, 1930'. There is also a free standing plaque inscribed 'Upon the closing of BECKENHAM GOLF CLUB this trophy is returned to the donor LESLIE PERKINS, with grateful thanks for his having made the original presentation and in appreciation of his many services to the club, July 1944'.

Taken from golfsmissinglinks.co.uk

Beckenham Golf Club.
The club was founded in 1892/3 the course was laid out over the old Croydon Racecourse. The racecourse proved a very popular venue with race enthusiasts from London in the Victorian era, unfortunately the then Mayor of Croydon was not a racing fan. He was unhappy with the type of people it was attracting and following pressure from the Mayor the race track closed. It was brought by Beckenham Golf Club and continued as a golf course until the late 1930s. The course was acquired by the Council in 1942, the area is now the Stroud Green housing estate and Ashburton playing fields.
The following is taken from 'Golfing and Cycling Illustrated' May 20th 1897 - The Golfer in Cockaigne - Beckenham Golf Club - By R A Foster. (Thanks to Golf Heritage - @LdnGolfHistory).

'What was formerly the Croydon Racecourse, surrounded by a hoop of trees, and comprising 120 acres of meadow land, now constitutes the links of the Beckenham golfers. From Cannon Street or Charing Cross Stations the journey occupies just enough time to ash a slow Havana. From Woodside Station the clubhouse is within striking distance of a catapult.

Mr Jockel shares the record for the course with Booth, the professional, with a score of 78.

The secretary, Mr S F Prest, (who has just succeeded Mr P G Collins, now promoted to captain), welcomed us like the golfing enthusiast the members know him to be. He told the story of the club's phenomenal progress since its formation in 1892, and conducted us into the old tithe barn, which has been converted into the homeliest imaginable club-room. A cross-beam in the roof bears the date 1761. The members sat around at small tables, chatting gaily, like fellows who infinitely preferred the old-inn aspect of their rural sanctum to the more pretentious appointments of upholstered urban counterparts.

Now to make a survey of the links. Let it be calculated that the outgoing nine-holes are about four strokes easier than the incoming nine. The eighteen-holes were laid out by Tom Dunn, a celebrity in his day, and now teaching Yankees a better game than baseball. It was Tom's great care to keep the bunkers well away from the tee, so as to inspire good driving. But fair enough sportsmen may often be tempted to lie conveniently on this side when strokes are being recorded. Consequently Beckenham affords rare opportunities for far drivers distinguishing themselves. A canal intersects four holes at different stages and forms a very effective aquatic hazard. In winter the current runs so briskly that it is no uncommon sight to see a player drop his sticks and bolt after his shillingsworth before it is carried down the wood.

The ninth winter hole ought surely to be included in the summer course. Booth's ingenuity has constructed a clever arrangement of bunkers to encourage accurate driving. There is a small bunker, with two large ones looming twenty paces behind on either side, showing up a clear straight line for the green beyond. The idea is that a short driver gets caught by the little bunker, and a far driver of the straight, is caught in the bigger trap.

The 13th hole is allowed to be the stiffest on the course, and its neighbour, the 12th, is excellently well done in five. This hole has the finest punch bowl green we have yet seen. Hundreds of cart loads of soil went in to the making of it. Beckenham has a climate of its own. You have not traversed half-a-dozen holes till the delicious coolness of the air elicits remarks. The members say that be it never so sultry in London, a grateful breeze always awaits them at the links. The view from the higher holes is very charming, comprehending the Crystal Palace perfectly outlined against the sky, amid the villadoms of Beulah Hill and Sydenham. In the gloaming of a summer evening the woods ring with the melodies of nightingales.'

Result of the April 1897 bogey competition; Gold, W Gibbs, 2down; Silver, J Fawcett, 5down.

Saturday 29th May 1897 was a very busy day at Woodside. Two competitions were taking place. The second Beckenham Open Amateur, and a professional 36 hole match between J H Taylor (Wimbledon) winner of The Open in 1894 and 1895 and Jack White (Mitcham) After a very close match between the professionals Jack White ran out the winner by 2 and 1. About 90 players representing clubs throughout the UK took part in the Open Amateur competition.

The following is taken from the Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser Friday 20th September 1907. 'Remarkable Drive' What is believed to be a record drive has just been made on the Beckenham course by W H Horne, the local professional. He drove altogether 381 yards, the spot where the ball stopped being marked by Mr Potter, a club member, it was then measured. There was only a slight faltering wind, and the ground was level. The previous longest known drive was Mr Edward Blackwell's 366 yards at St Andrews fifteen years ago.

On Saturday 25th July 1914 Mr H G Rowbotham, captain of the club, had a hole in one at the eighth, the hole measured 220 yards.

In 1922 the secretary was E A Gifford, 123 Victoria Street, London SW1 and the professional H Brown.

An 18-hole course the amateur course record was held by G L Mellin with a score of 71, professional record holder was H Vardon 69. Visitors' fees on introduction were 2/6 a day and 15/- a week.

In 1930 the secretary at Beckenham Golf Club, Woodside, Croydon was E A Gooch.

From 1935 to the clubs final appearance in 1940 the secretary was G Cameron, telephone Addiscombe 1132. The professional was still H Brown and the greenkeeper L B Pinner. An 18 hole course with a SSS. of 73 and a Par of 71. There was a membership of 350. Visitors' fees on introduction were 2/6 a day, 10/- at weekend and Bank Holiday.
Height
63.5 cm (25")
Width
99.5 cm (39 1/4")
Depth
16 cm (6 1/4")
Condition
Excellent
Year
Cirac 1930
Medium
Mahogany
exhibition
Champions, Hookers & Dew Sweepers No.83