John Henry J.H. Taylor was an English professional golfer and one of the pioneers of the modern game of golf and best known for his fine British Open play winning his first Open in 1894. Taylor is considered to be one of the best golfers of all time going on to win the Open a further four times. As well as an outstanding golfer he also became a significant golf course architect. His fine reputation enabled his club making partnership with George Cann to become a very successful one. He joined forces with George Cann whilst he was professional at Winchester to start the club making business in 1894. Over the years the branded J.H.Taylor Autograph Model clubs were very popular. Taylors registered trademark was in use from 1895 - 1930. Taylor was born in Devon and at the age of 11 started work as a caddy and general labourer at the nearby Westward Ho GC also known as the Royal North Devon Golf Club. He joined the green keepers staff a move which laid the foundation for his skill as a course designer later in life. At 19 he turned professional and worked at several clubs ( Burnham & Berrow 1890 - 1892 Royal Winchester 1892 - 1896 Royal Wimbledon 1896 - 1899 ) eventually settling at Royal Mid Surrey until 1938. Taylor played golf all his life and at the age of 55 contested the 1924 Open. One of his greatest achievements was the formation of the PGA. As well as a champion golfer Taylor was a member of the Great Triumvirate of the sport together with Harry Vardon and James Braid.