The wishlist name can't be left blank

Rowing Oar, London Rowing Club, Henley Royal Regatta 1933

£ 1,250

Category
Subcategory
Reference
28013
Height
366.5 cm (144 1/4")
London Rowing Club, Winners Of The Wyfold Challenge Cup, Henley Royal Regatta 1933
The full length oar is an original traditional London Rowing Club presentation rowing oar with gilt calligraphy. The writing on the trophy blade is in good condition. The oar is numbered 4 so would have belonged to E.D. Wetton, as that was his position and we acquired five other oars at the time all with Wetton's name on them. Along with the number 4 is painted 'E.Norris, The Olympic Tubular, Putney'. This is Edmund Norris was an oar and scull manufacturer who invented the tubular oar in 1906, thus making oars lighter and more rigid. His father, also Edmund, was a mast, oar and scull maker also from at Putney. As well as the calligraphy on the blade there are two painted crests, one the LRC and the other the Royal Coat of arms of the United Kingdom.

The trophy blade reads:-

'London R.C, Winners of The Wyfold Challenge Cup, Henley Royal Regatta, 1933'.
Bow J.C. Webb. 10.7
2 R.W. Burkitt. 11.4
3 A.E.C. Drake 11.12
Str E.D. Wetton. 10.10

The London Rowing Club (LRC) is one of the oldest rowing clubs on the River Thames and was founded in 1856 at the instigation of Herbert Playford, A. Casamajor and Josias Nottidge. The club was formed to promote rowing on the Thames and to win Medals and beat the university crews which dominated Henley Royal Regatta. These three formed part of the crew that won the Grand Challenge Cup at Henley in 1857. One of the most famous of former members is Graham Hill, the Formula One racing driver, who incorporated the club colours in his helmet design.
Height
366.5 cm (144 1/4")
Condition
Very good, the painting on the blade is clean and clear. The blade edge has been chipped at sometime.
Year
1933
Period
1900-1949
Medium
Pine
Country
United Kingdom