James Hutchings started preserving animals in the 1860s and his three sons James (Fred) George and Walter along with his daughter Poppy followed him into the taxidermy trade. Based in Aberystwyth the family business produced an extraordinary quantity of very fine taxidermy until 1942. For such a small business they appear to have been very prolific. Moreover their work is considered to be of a very high standard and examples of their work are frequently seen in museums. Other than a few obituaries and a newspaper article published in 1953 very little is known of the family and their prominent business in Aberystwyth.