The bell foundry made famous by Robert Wells was in Aldbourne Wiltshire England although it had originally been established in 1693 by Robert Cor. It was then owned though the years by John Stores and later by Edward Read. From about 1760 to about 1826 the Wells cast hand bells church bells clock and room bells but they were famous for the rumblers they cast with a distinctive RW with the ornate petal design.Robert was born in 1725 and was the only son of a local blacksmith William Wells. Robert ran the business until his death in 1781 and left his son (born in 1756 and also called Robert) running the foundry. Robert was joined by his younger brother James (b.1771) around 1790 and upon his retirement in 1798 left him in charge. The foundry done well for a while but unfortunately went bankrupt in 1825 and was sold to another foundry owner Thomas Mears of Whitechapel.