Spence & Gourlay
h1 classbiography Spence & Gourlay (Born 1890)h1Spence & Gourlay. Founded in the mid 1890s by James Hampton Spence and George Longburn Gourlay operating out of the old lifeboat shed at St Andrews. They built up a very good reputation as making beautiful irons but like many clubmaking firms WWI put a stop to business. After the war James Spence continued to produce iron cleek heads but without his partner. He took on a new cleek mark of a flag stick in the hole which was registered in 1922. He sold his business in the late 1920s to Robert Forgan & Son who then adopted the flag stick cleek mark as their own.