The wishlist name can't be left blank

HICKORY GOLF CLUB, DOUBLE SIDED, TOM STEWART, ST. ANDREWS.

SOLD

Category
Subcategory
Reference
24611
Height
91 cm (35 3/4")
ANTIQUE HICKORY GOLF CLUB, DOUBLE SIDED, TOM STEWART, ST. ANDREWS.
A very unusual double sided chipper by Tom Stewart, St. Andrews. Hickory shafted left- right- handed chipper with smooth face and suede leather grip. The club head is heavily pitted but the 'PIPE' cleek mark of Stewart is clearly visible, but the retailer's mark is not clear.
The cleek mark on the rear of the club head is the plain 'pipe' mark of Tom Stewart, Jr. (1861 - 1931), which was in use from 1893 - 1905. Tom learnt some of his club making art from his father who was a carpenter and occasional club maker. He served his apprenticeship with one of St. Andrews most prolific iron club makers, Robert White.
In his early days one of his best customers was the shop of Tom Morris, Old Tom even played with irons made by Stewart. Other well-known customers were the McEwans in Musselburgh as well as D. & W. Auchterlonie and Robert Forgan in St. Andrews.
Tom Stewart was one of the best Iron club makers and even today's hickory players are always on the search for Stewart clubs.
Height
91 cm (35 3/4")
Year
1900