Cooper are one of the best known and collected of all the British taxidermists. They were regarded as the leading fish taxidermists. The firm was founded in the 1830s by John Cooper a former watchmaker. He was joined later by his son also John who continued the business after his death. The company changed their name in the late 1890s when John (second generation) was joined by his sons Ernest Frederick and John. Cooper are renowned for their high quality bow-fronted glass cases edged with gold line trim and gilt lettering. W.B.Griggs who was also a taxidermist from London took over the company and carried on trading under the name of J. Cooper & Sons. Radnor Street London was the principle Cooper premises but in about 1939 the company started trading from 78 Bath Road Hounslow Middlesex.