Rowland Ward was the founder of the world-renowned taxidermy firm Rowland Ward Ltd. They were located in Piccadilly and specialised in big game trophies but they took on all aspects of taxidermy. Rowland learned his craft from his father Henry who was also a well-known taxidermist in his day as did his brother Edwin. Rowland started out on his own in about 1872 at premises in Harley Street trading as J Rowland Ward his real name was actually James Rowland Ward. A few years later he moved from Harley Street (although he retained these premises until his death) to Piccadilly and traded under the name Ward & Co. Ltd. In 1898 the business was again renamed and became Rowland Ward Ltd. at which it remained.