Leather shield, Thames Rowing Club.

Leather shield, Thames Rowing Club.

Sold
Reference

25662

Leather shield, Thames Rowing Club.
A very fine embossed and painted leather shield with a 'TRC' monogram (Thames Rowing Club) with crossed oars and a wavy banner with 1860 across it. The 'TRC' is painted in the club colours of red, white and black.
A highly decorative and rare piece of rowing memorabilia.
The Thames Rowing Club was founded in 1860 for the purposes of 'organised pleasure or exercise rowing' and was known as 'The City of London Rowing Club'. In 1862 the name changed to the Thames Rowing Club and situated at Putney, London, the Club is the joint third-oldest non-academic rowing club on the Thames. The TRC was the club of Britain's greatest ever single sculler, Jack Beresford.
Jack Beresford, CBE, was one of the most accomplished rowers of his generation. He won the Diamond Challenge Sculls four times in 1920, 1924, 1925 and 1926 and the Wingfield Sculls for the Amateur championship of Great Britain a record seven times. Throughout his competitive career, Jack represented the Thames Rowing Club, and was captain in 1928-9 and served as President from 1970 until his death in 1977. Beresford won silver at the 1920 Amsterdam Olympics in an epic race with Jack Kelly, before going one better in Paris in 1924. He then took a further three more Olympic medals in 1928, 1932 and 1936. At the time having won rowing medals in five straight Olympics, Jack held the record for 60 years until Steve Redgrave bettered his record by winning gold at five consecutive Olympics.

Dimensions:

Height 34 cm / 13 1332"
Width 28 cm / 11 332"
Year

Circa 1900

RELATED ITEMS